All of us, except for Josh

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Going to the weigh-in, (no, this is not the biggest loser!)



Steve and Matthew loaded the steers up this morning and hauled them to the weigh-in. It is mandatory to go if you want to show your animal in the fair. Jeremy was on the slopes of Brian Head snowboarding with some friends so Matthew covered for him. There were a few times Josh couldn't go and Jeremy took over for him so he got to reap the rewards of helping out in times past. There are very few days that Jeremy can go snow boarding because of practice and games, so he took this window of opportunity (I don't think the coaches would be happy if they knew). Steve has gotten to be quite a ranch hand over the years. Growing up in Switzerland and having no experience with cattle, it has been an adventure for him. He has done really well except for the one time he actually led the steers out the side door of the horse trailer! I don't think in the history of all time that has ever been done! It is okay Steve, we still love you. :) Jeremy's steer weighed 770lbs. and Matthew's weighed 760lbs. They have a lot of weight to gain before April! How does three to four hundred pounds sound? As I said, this is not the the biggest loser! If only I was on a program to gain weight by April! :)The boys paid extra money this year to get steers that were halter broke and I think it has paid off. The steers are still stubborn at times but are not afraid of people or out to kill you. They lead them around the house everyday and it isn't even a rodeo. I don't think either of the boys have been drug at all, which is a first. They still have to make sure they work with them a lot or they will get wild. It is a lot of work but it is a great way for the boys to be responsible and earn money for their missions.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it melt?

Other happenings today....we woke up to a blanket of snow on the ground. It actually started snowing just after midnight. I was up late getting a package ready to send to Joshua. I finally went outside at one in the morning to unplug the Christmas lights and to my surprise it was snowing! It was beautiful watching the snow fall in the glow of the Christmas lights. It was so quiet and peaceful. I went inside and got the camera and video taped it for Josh. It seemed that as quickly as the snow came, it left. It was the first snow of the year so as soon as the sun came up it quickly disappeared. The sky is still threatening to snow and I think it will soon. I love that we get snow every year and that it doesn't stay too long. It is just enough to enjoy it and still love it.



Last night was our ward Christmas party. We all bundled up and headed for the church. My mom bought Abbey a santa dress with a hat that I couldn't wait to dress her in! She was decked out for the party and Jeremy even took her to sit on Santa's lap (he got to eat the candy she got!) We had fun together as a family and ward singing Christmas songs and eating. We had Trisha's kids with us while she and Jason went on a date. I had planned on having a family picture of us to send to Josh and put in our Christmas cards. Since we were all showered and had our hair combed from the party (which doesn't happen lately for me) I thought it would be a good time for a picture. Our options for a photographer were Logan (eight years old), Alexa, (seven years old), or Madelyn (five years old). We started by asking Logan who did not want to do it. :) We then asked Alexa who was all too excited and willing to help. Steve got a chair for her to stand on and showed her how to use the camera. We then plopped ourselves on the floor without a rhyme or reason and smiled for the camera. Here is the picture....I think she did a pretty good job! :)





2 comments:

  1. Wow, Alexa did a great job at your family Christmas photo. I love the little Santa dress Abbey is wearing... how cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love the pictures! Your family pic turned out great. You should print some cards out at Wal-Mart....oh I forgot, Steve hates wal-mart. Ok, take them to Costco & have some cards made:) That's what I'm trying to do. I wanted to do it yesterday when the kids were in their christmas church clothes but Nathan didn't want to cooperate. He said we could do it today. The only problem is the kids don't look so great. Oh well.

    Abbey is so dang cute! I just love her to pieces. I can't wait to see you all at Christmas time. I did get Josh's package sent off on the 8th. I hope he gets it before christmas. Oh, and I forgot the worst part of my post...Melissa threw up all over in the back of Berkley's old truck. So much fun cleaning it out:) Love ya.

    ReplyDelete